Sunday 25 September 2011

Death Penalty?

I don't know what it says about my mentality, but I can always remember quotes from fictional characters better than any public figure in real life. Probably they seem more real to me; there have certainly been times in my life where I have spent more time with books than I have with people, and fiction constitutes a large percentage of my reading matter. Powerful fictional characters take on a presence that is both palpable and credible, and I take my hat off to the writers who have parented them. 


In the aftermath and aftershocks of the Troy Davis execution, the words that come to my mind are those of one of the greatest wizards who ever lived:


"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement."
--Gandalf the Grey (Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Rings)


Imaginary or not, I'm sure there are worse role models out there than Gandalf the Grey, Albus Dumbledore, and Lassie.



No comments:

Post a Comment